Tank car not moved yet

-A +A
The propane tanker that caught fire Aug. 23 and caused the evacuation of 4,800 Lincoln homes and businesses has yet to be moved from its location on Nicolaus Road. The tank car is to be transported by its owner, Union Tank Car Company, to another location for a forensic investigation of the tank and its valving system, according to Lincoln Fire Chief Dave Whitt. Whitt said Wednesday he had not been informed when the tank car will be moved. Union Tank Car Company will conduct the investigation and the Federal Railroad Administration will witness that investigation, according to previous News Messenger reports. The investigation could provide an answer to what caused the ignition source, according to previous News Messenger reports. City officials told The News Messenger last week that they will not know how to prevent another propane tank car fire until they know what caused the Aug. 23-24 fire. John Healy, an inspector for the California Public Utilities Commission, said last week that attorneys “were supposed to” inspect the tanker on Sept. 15 and then decide when and where to move it. On Wednesday, Healy said that investigation took place. But he did not have an answer as to where and when the tank car would be moved. Healy suggested that The News Messenger contact Union Tank Car Company. The News Messenger contacted Bruce Winslow, Union Tank Car Company’s spokesman, on Wednesday. Winslow said he did not know when the tank car would be moved. In related news, Whitt said the Lincoln Fire Department is currently looking for an agency to help them put together an after-action report for the incident at no cost. The after-action report would include operations, tactics and strategy from the event, according to Whitt. “We are reaching out to other agencies that have expert knowledge, education, training and experience,” Whitt said. “I need an independent third party that will say this is the good, bad and what we can improve on.” An example of an agency is the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Whitt said “everyone” would have access to the report. “It was a pretty big incident,” Whitt said. “There’s been such a clamor nationwide for this to occur.”