comments

Sun City home damaged by blaze

By: Liz Kellar The News Messenger
-A +A
Extremely windy conditions were to blame in a fire that gutted a home Monday on Eagles Peak Lane in Sun City Lincoln Hills. According to Lincoln Fire Chief David Whitt, the fire apparently started at approximately 3:30 p.m. in a garbage can that was placed in the back yard against the fence and the house. “It was unfortunately on the windward side of the home,” Whitt said. “Those cans can really get going. What we think happened is that a small spark or material in the corner of the eaves then got going.” Firefighters called to the scene had checked the attic once, Whitt said, and saw a minimal amount of smoke. The second time they checked, it was on fire. “It went from hardly anything to a whole lot of everything,” he said. Whitt said the fire was nearly contained by approximately 4:15 p.m. Both Lincoln Fire engines responded, as did mutual aid from CalFire and Rocklin. The house, which is not habitable, sustained approximately $200,000 worth of damage, Whitt estimated. “Wind was the factor,” he said. “Had the wind not been blowing … Once the wind got going and pushed the fire through the attic, it was just going to go.” Whitt added that the area was experiencing gusts of as much as 30 miles per hour Monday. “Be very, very careful out there in the next few days,” he advised, saying that it is expected to be windy for the next few days. “Things are drying out very rapidly.”