Sixteen-year-old ready to make DMV appointment

-A +A


“Ask the DMV”

Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions


SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at    


Q: My husband and I have a vacation home in Mexico and we would like to take our car and leave it at our home for our personal use when in residence.  My question is this:  if the government of Mexico permits us to legalize our car in their country (it is five years old) what would our procedure be to remove it from the registration process here in California?


A: If the vehicle is to be permanently registered in Mexico, it will be treated by California as a vehicle being exported out of country.  To export a vehicle you must sign and present your completed Certification for Exportation (REG 32) in person at a DMV office (all registered owners whose names are joined by "and" or a slash (/) must be present and have signed the REG 32). The REG 32 form is available at any DMV office.

You also need to provide a clear title to the vehicle to be exported (the title must be in the name(s) of the registered owner(s) submitting the REG 32). If there is a lien holder, line 2 of the title must contain a lien release or a completed Lien Satisfied (REG 166) must be submitted.


Q: I turn 16 in a few months and I want to make sure that I take my behind the wheel test on or close to my birthday. How far in advance can I make an appointment?


A: Congratulations on your upcoming birthday! I have some great news for you! Now you are able to schedule an appointment with the DMV up to 45 days in advance of your drive test. To schedule an appointment, please visit



Q: I am interested in becoming an organ donor and I’m not sure of the process.  Can the DMV help me?


A: That is wonderful that you are willing to participate in a program that can give someone the gift of life. It is actually very simple to register as an organ and tissue donor through the DMV. First, you can wait until you apply or renew your driver license or identification card, and check the “Yes” box on your renewal notice or application. The other option is to visit


By signing up as an organ and tissue donor, the Donate Life California Registry guarantees your wish to become a donor upon death, and will not require the consent of any other person.



The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit