Senior needs to take behind the wheel test

“Ask the DMV” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
-A +A


 Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at    


Q:  I am a senior citizen and my driver license is about to expire.  I received a notice that I need to take a behind the wheel test. What happens if I do not pass the vision exam prior to taking the behind the wheel test?

A:  If you do not meet the department’s vision standard of 20/40, the DMV will give you a Report of Vision Examination (DL 62) form and ask you to see a vision specialist. A “vision specialist” is a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist.

If you are renewing your license, the DMV will issue you a 30-day temporary license if your eyesight is no worse than 20/100 with both eyes. This should give you enough time to make an appointment with your eye doctor.

Your eye doctor should give you a full vision examination to determine your ability to drive safely.

To learn more about senior driving, please visit


Q: My daughter moved and registered our car in another state however I recently received a renewal notice and notice of delinquent registration.  How do I notify DMV that the car is registered in another state?

A: If you have left the state or your vehicle has been sent permanently out of California and received a renewal notice, simply write on the notice the vehicle is no longer in California, in what state it is now registered, provide the date that you moved out of state and mail it back to DMV. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. This information is very important in determining if fees are due in California and to prevent future delinquent notices being sent to you. For more information on vehicle registration, visit


Q: I’ve had personalized plates on one of my cars (car #1) but now I want to reassign those plates to my other car (car #2).  What do I do with the standard plates on car #2?  Do those get reassigned to car #1 or do I need to order new standard plates?  I plan to sell car #1, which is the reason I am doing this in the first place.


A:  Take the current registration cards for both vehicles and the standard plates from the vehicle #2 into any DMV office.  You will pay a reassignment fee to transfer the personalized plate from vehicle #1 to vehicle #2, but there is no charge for the issuance of new standard plates to vehicle #1.  When your transaction is completed, you should receive a new registration card for vehicle #2 showing the personalized license plates and new stickers reflecting its expiration date, and a registration card and new standard plates for vehicle #1.  I recommend you make an appointment for your visit, appointments will save you time and money and are available by visiting or by telephone at (800) 777-0133.



The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit