Refund of renewal?

“Ask the DMV” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
-A +A


Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at  


Q: I paid my registration fees before the due date but shortly after I received the tags I sold my vehicle.  Can I get a refund of the registration fees?

            A: No, the vehicle is considered to be a currently registered vehicle and becomes a matter of negotiation between the buyer and seller.  DMV may only refund fees that are excessive, assessed in error, or not legally due as provided under Vehicle Code Section 42231.  For more information regarding refunds, please visit our website at

Q: I currently have a permanent disabled person placard but would like to change it for a license plate.  Can you please tell me what I need to do?

A: Any qualified permanently disabled person may obtain special Disabled Person license plates for no additional fee for any/all vehicles currently registered to the disabled person. The requirements are:

·         A completed Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates (REG 195)

·         The current California Registration Card for the vehicle in the disabled person's name

·         The vehicle current license plates


You may print the REG 195 Form from the department's website, Take all of the items listed above to any department field office.  Don’t forget to make an appointment prior to your visit.  The forms are also available in the field office or you may request one by mail at (800) 777-0133. 


Q: I haven’t received my renewal notice for my car yet.  Is there a way to figure out how much I owe?


      A: Yes, you can use the Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator at  The Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator allows current and new residents of California to calculate an estimate of their vehicle registration fees, determine Vehicle License Fees (VLF) paid for tax purposes, and calculate fees for registration renewal and used vehicle purchases. As a reminder, you are required to pay fees on or before the due date to avoid incurring penalties. Your vehicle registration card will show the specific date the registration expires.  If you have any questions, you may contact us at 1-800-777-0133.


The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit