Newly married need to change name on car title

“Ask the DMV” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
-A +A


Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at    


Q: I work for a catering business and need to transport unopened containers of alcohol to the venues where I am assigned to work. Is it legal for me to transport unopened containers of alcohol if I am under 21?


A: If you are under the age of 21, you may carry an unopened container of alcohol in your vehicle if your parent or legal guardian is also in the vehicle or if you are working for an employer that has an off-site liquor license. But if you are under 21 and do not fit any of the criteria above, your vehicle may be impounded for up to 30 days and the court may fine you up to $1,000 and suspend your driving privilege for one year. For more information about transporting alcohol in a vehicle, please visit




Q: I live in a rural area and I am scared that I am going to hit an animal on the road while driving home late at night. Do you have any tips on how to avoid hitting an animal and what to do if I do hit one?


A: Good question. If you are in an area that has a lot of wildlife and stray animals, be sure to drive slow and scan the road for any animals that may be in your pathway. If you accidentally hit an animal with your vehicle, call the nearest humane society, police or CHP to report the incident. Do not try to move an injured animal or leave the injured animal to die. Also if the animal is in your driving path, it is better to hit that animal than try to swerve to miss it. The likelihood that the people in the car will suffer serious injuries goes down if you do not swerve.


For more information regarding animals and the road, please visit



Q: I recently got married and I would like to change the name on my car title.  How can this be done?

      A: Congratulations! To change your name or correct a misspelling, you will need to submit your vehicle title, along with a Statement of Facts (REG 256), with the Name Statement section completed indicating the reason for the change and sign the bottom of the form.  There is no cost to make this type of change.  If you are paying on a loan for the vehicle, the Statement of Facts form should be completed and provided to your lender to submit the title to DMV for correction.  For more information, please visit our website at


The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit