Need new address on license ?

“Ask George” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde – Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: I currently have a permanent disabled placard. How can I get a Disabled license plate? Do I need to have another form signed by my doctor? A: Any qualified permanently disabled person may obtain special Disabled Person license plates for no additional fee for any/all vehicles currently registered to the disabled person. The requirements are: · A completed Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates (REG 195). · The current California Registration Card for the vehicle in the disabled person's name. · The license plate number currently on the vehicle. You may print the REG 195 form at Take all of the items listed above to any departmental field office. The forms are also available in the field office or you may request one by mail at (800) 777-0133. Q:My wife and I moved and mailed our change of address forms to DMV so we could get our new driver licenses mailed to us. It has been two months and we have not received them. The DMV must have gotten our forms, because our voting registrations (on the same forms) DID change.How do I go about getting the new licenses? A:I regret any misunderstanding, but the department does not issue a new license as a result of change of address forms being submitted. If you want a license to display the new address, you must apply for a duplicate driver license. The fee for a duplicate license is $26, and you must apply in person. The change of address form is strictly to update your address on record with the DMV. Remember to save time by making an appointment for your DMV visit, just go to It’s fast and easy! Q: Yesterday I was involved in a car crash and now my sister is saying that I need to fill out a Traffic Accident Report. Do I need to do this in the field office or is this something I can do online? A: I’m sorry to hear about your collision, but the good news is that you can print out the Traffic Accident Report form at, fill it out and mail it in to the address listed on the form. Also, here are some tips for avoiding collisions in the future: · Keep your car visible- If possible, avoid being in the blind spot of another car · Know the road- Though the speed limit may be 45 mph, if there are harsh weather conditions adjust your speed accordingly · Curves- Always slow down before you enter the curve, not during The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit