My vehicle registration is due can I renew online?

“Ask George” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde – Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: I recently changed my address through the DMV website. I have yet to receive a new ID. If I get pulled over, will I get cited for having an incorrect address on my license? A: Great job on taking advantage of the DMV’s online services! Though you changed your address in our system, you will not be issued a new driver license or ID card. You will have to visit a field office for a new card. Type or write your new address on a small piece of paper with your signature and date. Keep it with your driver license and if pulled over you will not be cited. However, if you are following the laws of the road you shouldn’t have any worries about being pulled over in the first place. For more tips on safe driving and making sure you are following all laws please visit From the homepage find the search tool in the upper right hand corner, type Safe Driving, click Go, and then click the second link that appears in the search results. Save Time. Go Online! Q: My vehicle registration renewal is due in a few weeks; is it possible to do it online and can I pay for it with a credit card? A: Yes, you can save yourself a trip to a DMV office or the price of a postage stamp by renewing online but only if the Renewal Notice you received from DMV has a Renewal Identifying Number. To renew your vehicle registration online use the following link and follow the instructions: And yes, you may use your credit card when renewing by internet. For in person office visits DMV accepts cash, checks or ATM/Debit cards. Save Time. Go Online! Q: I recently sold my car and the buyer is making payments to me. I don’t want to give the buyer the title until I am paid in full. What should I do so that I do not receive parking citations or other damages the new buyer may cause? A: While you may not wish to provide the new owner a title, this is a transfer of ownership that must be recorded with the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV will record both a registered owner and a legal owner, who will hold the title until the payments are completed. · First, you should complete a Notice of Release of Liability (REG 138) form. You may complete an online release form at This is required within five days of the transfer date. · Second, when signing the title to give it to the new buyer, you can add your name and address as a “legal owner” on the back of the title in the “New Legal Owner” section. Once the transfer into the buyer’s name is complete, the seller will receive the new title and the buyer will receive a new registration card. This legally protects the seller should the buyer fail to make the required payments. The seller may want to visit a local office with the buyer to ensure this process is completed correctly. In you choose to visit a field office, make an appointment online before you go. Once the buyer makes the final payments, the legal owner must release their interest on the title and forward it to the registered owner or DMV. The department will record the change and issue a new title to the registered owner. There is a transfer fee of $15 involved with this type of transfer. For more information and other tips on buying and selling a vehicle, visit our DMV website at . Save Time. Go Online! The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit