comments

Marine recruiter to be sentenced Dec. 15

By: Brandon Darnell, News Messenger Reporter
-A +A
Victor Sanchez-Millan, a 23-year-old Marine recruiter accused of having sex with a 17-year-old Lincoln High student, will be sentenced Dec. 15. "That's the end of the road, folks," said Judge Gary Ransom in a probationary hearing on Dec. 1, in which Sanchez-Millan had originally been scheduled to be sentenced. A continuation was requested by Sanchez-Millan's attorney, Monica Lynch, due to the "bare-bones" nature of the probation report. Caryn Dubke, prosecuting the case for the Sacramento District Attorney's Office, requested that Sanchez-Millan be held in custody until the next court date on Dec. 15. Ransom denied that request when Lynch said she needed to be able to speak with Sanchez-Millan and that having him in custody would hamper her efforts. Lynch's original request had been to hold further proceedings until January but that was denied. At the crux of the matter is whether Sanchez-Millan will need to register on the registry of sex offenders. Sanchez-Millan pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and two felony counts of unlawful sex with a minor in a plea-bargain Oct. 30. In return for his pleas, Dubke dropped the felony charge of penetration of a foreign object. Each felony count carries a maximum sentence of three years and eight months in prison, and the misdemeanors carry maximum sentences of one year, served consecutively, in county jail, said Shelli Orio, spokeswoman for the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office. Sanchez-Millan was arrested Aug. 21 after he allegedly met a 17-year-old Lincoln High School student at a job fair and initiated a consensual sexual relationship with her, according to previous news reports. The victim’s father told the News Messenger in September that Sanchez-Millan took her out of class on repeated occasions without parental permission. “How was he able to sign the kid out,” asked Ed Francis when he heard about the case Monday. His child is a freshman at Lincoln High School, and the thought that something like that could happen at the school came as a surprise to him. “I’d be irate. He deserves the full penalty of the law.” That same sentiment was echoed by Steve Rubio, a Lincoln High School senior. “It was a minor and an adult. He should get what he deserves. It’s illegal and he should have known better,” Rubio said. Sophomore Hannah Holbrook said she could understand them liking each other but that his pulling her out of class was inappropriate. “He should definitely be punished but not too severely,” Holbrook said. “It’s illegal so he should be punished for that and he should also be punished for taking her out of school.” Western Placer Unified School District officials did not confirm or deny that Sanchez-Millan signed the minor out of class. “We do care very deeply about this family,” said Assistant Superintendent of Education Services Mary Boyle in September. “It’s a very difficult situation,” she said. “We’re always reviewing our safety procedures … I’m very confident in our procedures and our policies.” Boyle was unable to add anything further on Tuesday, saying that she cannot release any additional information. “We always work carefully to maintain the dignity and confidentiality of our students,” she said. She confirmed that the only individuals who can sign a student out of class are parents or people listed on the emergency contacts card on file in the office. “There’s nothing more I can say other than what’s already been said,” she added. Sanchez-Millan is "no longer affiliated with the United States Marine Corps," said Lt. Jill Leyden, public affairs officer for the 12th Marine Corps District, in early November. He was not dishonorably discharged as there was no court martial and a dishonorable discharge can only come about after a court martial, according to Leyden.