Lincoln residents facing felonies after Auburn motel shooting

-A +A
Two Lincoln residents are still in jail after a shooting in Auburn’s Super 8 Motel that left one man injured. Placer County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the motel Sunday night after a report of four shotgun shots in one of the facility’s room. Witnesses gave deputies a vehicle description and a deputy spotted the car turning onto Bell Road from Bowman Road, according to Dena Erwin, spokeswoman for the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies found Lincoln residents Zane Aaron Davis, 28, and his half-sister, Ruthie Ann Barnes, 20, inside the vehicle. Barnes told deputies she went to the motel to buy drugs from her ex-boyfriend, Andres Lopez, 36. Barnes then called Davis to pick her up, because she was afraid Lopez wouldn’t let her leave, Erwin said. According to Erwin, Davis reportedly arrived and shot out the room’s window, entered the room and fought with Lopez. Davis allegedly fired the gun three more times during the fight, Erwin said. Deputies found a shotgun in the vehicle and shotgun shells in Davis’ pocket, Erwin said. Lopez left his vehicle at the motel, but deputies found him around 8:15 a.m. Monday in Colfax at a Greyhound station. Lopez had a bus ticket in his hand and a large amount of blood on his clothes, according to Erwin. According to Erwin, Lopez had a large cut on his hand and pellet wounds on his leg. Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital treated Lopez for the injuries. Deputies later discovered Barnes and Davis allegedly met Lopez at his hotel room to rob him, Erwin said. Barnes and Davis were booked into Placer County jail on charges of attempted robbery, conspiracy and assault with a firearm. Barnes was also charged with possession of a controlled substance, hypodermic needles and brass knuckles. The Sheriff’s Office also charged her with bringing drugs into the jail. All charges are felonies except the misdemeanor charge of possessing hypodermic needles. Deputies arrested Lopez on an outstanding San Diego County burglary warrant, but he was released. Barnes is being held on a $100,000 bail and Davis is being held on an $110,000 bail. Both were expected to be arraigned Wednesday. ~Staff report