Lincoln Chronicles

-A +A
1 YEAR AGO Feb. 3, 2011: Duncan ordered to pay back $20,548 to government – Faking a Purple Heart and post-traumatic stress disorder means one Lincoln resident will now have to pay the government $20,548 in restitution. Bruce Leon Duncan, 59, was sentenced in a Sacramento courtroom on Jan. 25 for charges of theft of government property, according to Lauren Horwood, a U.S. Attorney’s Office spokeswoman. The sentence includes 60 days of monitored home detention, five years of supervised release and an order to pay $20,548 in restitution. 10 YEARS AGO Jan. 31, 2002: Skate park opening delayed – Youth disappointed; no mention of closure – Saturday morning was a big disappointment for many of Lincoln’s youth when the long-awaited McBean Park skate park failed to open. The opening had been scheduled for Saturday at 9 a.m., but, due to rain, the park remained closed, with no sign on the padlocked gate to tell skaters why the park was not opened as promised. A flier announcing the opening made no mention of foul weather closures. 20 YEARS AGO Jan. 30, 1992: Council challengers lining up – The interest in the upcoming April 14 general election is rising as more potential candidates take out nomination papers. City Clerk Linda Stackpoole said though no signature in-lieu papers have been returned, several residents are collecting the 20 signatures needed to qualify to run for elected city position. For the three city council seats open, Lou Gaffuri, Michael McCartney, Larry Costa and incumbent Stan Nader have picked up information packets, Stackpoole said. Mayor Ron Barringer had not taken out papers at press time. Filing period for incumbents ends Feb. 6. Councilmember Charles Kellar announced last week that he would not seek a third term, which automatically extends the filing period for non-incumbents for five days. 50 YEARS AGO Feb. 1, 1962: 1,100 Sheep Stolen From Area Ranch – The theft of more than 1,100 sheep from a Lincoln area ranch was reported last week. The animals, owned by Edward A. Marshall, were valued in excess of $10,000. The theft apparently occurred during the weekend of the “big snow,” Jan. 20 and 21. Marshall told sheriff’s deputies that he noticed on the Sunday that his flock appeared smaller, but at that time he thought that possibly the sheep might have been huddled together against the cold and snow. But the following day, it became obvious that large numbers were missing and a count was taken, revealing that 496 ewes, and 634 lambs, ranging in age from one day to two and a half months, were missing. Investigating deputies stated the animals appeared to have been corralled in a corner of a field and a long chute placed over the fence. The field adjoins the road and tire marks were found at the spot. It has been estimated that it would take at least four trucks to haul away this large number of sheep. 75 YEARS AGO Feb. 4, 1937: A Near Bad Fire Was Extinguished Last Monday Night – What might have been a very bad fire last Monday night was averted by the discovery of smoke emitting from the grocery store of R. C. Clinger, by Leroy Crook, when he arrived at the Puritan Bakery where he is employed, for his shift in the bakery and, who without waiting, turned in the fire alarm. As it was comparatively early in the evening, being about 11:00 o’clock most people were up and many on the streets. The fire company was promptly on the scene and was successful in holding the fire to the back room of the grocery store, which, however, had become a small “inferno”; the heat being terrific and the smoke so dense that nozzle men had to use their gas masks to enter the building. Compiled by Shoni Jones. No editing changes are made to the copy so that the entries appear as originally published.