How to obtain a duplicate title

?Ask George? Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde ? Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: I am thinking of selling a car I no longer use however I can?t find the title. Can I get a duplicate title? A: You may apply for a duplicate title and transfer by using form REG 227. This form, as well as many others, is available at After completing the form make sure you complete a REG 138 (Notice of Release of Liability), notifying DMV you sold the vehicle and are no longer responsible for the car. This form is also available on our website or you may complete the REG 138 as an online transaction. Q: My family recently moved to California from Nevada. My 16-year-old son completed the driver education requirements in Nevada and obtained a Nevada learners permit approximately eight months ago. He applied for a California driver license but was issued a California learners permit and informed that he had to hold the California learners permit for at least six months before he would be eligible for a drive test in California. Why does he have to wait six additional months before he can take the drive test and obtain a California driver license? A: California Vehicle Code Section 12814.6 mandates that an applicant for a Provisional Driver License shall hold a California Instruction Permit for six months before a drive test can be taken. Additional information on this subject is available on the department's website, Q: Two months ago I was in a collision with a driver that was uninsured. I submitted the proper paperwork to the DMV regarding the collision; the collision report lists an insurance policy for him but it was apparently not in force at the time. Can you tell me how I can report this uninsured driver to DMV and how I can find out if any action was taken? A: Once the DMV receives your Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California, Form SR 1, the department will request the other driver involved in the collision to complete a SR 1 also. If the other driver provides evidence of valid insurance, you will be able to request a copy of the SR 1 he or she submitted. The SR 1 will contain the insurance information. If the driver did not have valid insurance at the time of the collision, his or her driving privilege will be suspended. For more information on vehicle insurance requirements, please visit The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit