Does the hands free call phone law apply?

“Ask George” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde – Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: At the present time I am active duty military but will soon be discharged and I plan to relocate to California. I am hoping you can let me know what I need to do in order to get my license and register my car once I move to your state. A: You will need to apply for a California driver license within 10 days of establishing residency in California. You will need a legal presence document (ex., a certified birth certificate), your Social Security Card, your current driver license and if your name is different from the one listed on your birth certificate, a name change document such as a certified Marriage Certificate. You must register your motor vehicles within 20 days of establishing residency. The registration requirements vary depending on the year model of the vehicle. Information on this subject is available on the department's website, Good luck and welcome to California. Q: Does the “hands-free” cell phone law apply if I am using the speaker phone function and holding the phone away from my ear? A: Yes, the “hands-free” law does apply. According to the law, a person is not allowed to use a wireless telephone while driving a motor vehicle unless the person has a “hands-free” device. The idea is to have both hands on the wheel, focusing your attention solely on driving. For more information on the “hands-free” cell phone law, visit Q: I’m the webmaster for my dad’s car dealership website. Part of my job requires me to remain current and knowledgeable on new DMV laws and regulations, and I am constantly looking on DMV’s website to make sure I have all the correct information. Does the DMV have an RSS feed that I can subscribe to that will update me when there is new information? A: Absolutely. When you subscribe to the DMV’s RSS feed, it regularly sends you an updated summary of the DMV website’s content, along with links to full versions of that content. To subscribe to the DMV’s RSS feed go to the DMV website at and click on the RSS icon which is located at the bottom of the DMV homepage. The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit