DMV on Social Media sites?

“Ask the DMV” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
-A +A


 Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at  


Q: I am confused about the “point” system. How do you get a “point” on your driving record?


A. Thank you for your question. A point is something no one wants on their record. Tickets and collisions are assigned points and depending on the severity of the incident, you can receive from 1-2 points. Moving violations such as running a red light or being cited for speeding will cost you one point, and convictions for more serious offenses such as hit-and-run and driving under the influence will count for two.


If you get too many points on your driving record, you can be found negligent and lose your license. You will be considered a negligent operator if your driving record shows any of the following point count totals:


·                     4 points in 12 months, or

·                     6 points in 24 months, or

·                     8 points in 36 months


For more information about the “point” system, please visit


Q: My 1991 Nissan failed the past two smog tests. I am 77 years old and my use of this car is very limited since I only drive it when I go grocery shopping and to medical appointments. Would minimal use of a vehicle be a consideration in granting an exception, if it should fail again?


A: Unfortunately the answer to your question is no. Minimal use of a vehicle does not qualify for an exception.  However, there is some good news.  Because of the age of your vehicle, I suspect it is being directed to a Test-Only station for its Smog Check.  If you fall into a low income category or your vehicle is directed to Test-Only you may qualify for financial assistance from the state if it fails to pass Smog Check.  The Bureau's Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) offers two options for vehicles that fail Smog Check.  You may qualify for the Repair Option, which offers up to $500 from the state to bring your vehicle into compliance with Smog Check standards or you can take advantage of the Vehicle Retirement option and receive $1,000 from the state to retire your car.


You can find out more about the Consumer Assistance Program by linking to, and clicking on "Consumer Assistance Program"  or you may call the Department of Consumer Affairs Consumer Information Center at 1-800-952-5200.


Q: I want my teenage son to learn more about driver safety. He spends a lot of time "socializing" on the Internet, so I was wondering if DMV has any pages on any of the social media websites?


A: Yes, the DMV participates in social media with a presence on several websites, including YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. With these resources, teen drivers can learn important information, submit questions to the DMV, and have fun while learning about the rules and laws pertaining to driver safety. To access the DMV’s pages on the social networking sites, just visit one of the following:







The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit