Cited for DUI - What next?

“Ask the DMV” Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: By DMV
-A +A


Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at    


Q: Last month, I was cited for a DUI.  What exactly are the consequences, and how much will I have to pay in fines? 


A:  Driving under the influence is a very serious charge, and total costs can approach $13,000 – even if it's only your first offense. You can find a brochure called Driving Under the Influence here, which gives you more details on what happens when you get pulled over for a DUI.


You can also find out more information regarding your Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) by reading the California Driver Handbook here


Q: I am 18 years old and ride my two stroke 80cc gas powered beach cruiser to and from college every day. Today, I was cited for not having an M2 license. My bike has separate pedaling and engine mechanism, two sets of brakes and it does not go over 30 mph. I read that if it has pedals it is considered a bike and therefore a license is not needed.  Am I correct?


A: You are required to obtain a M2 Motorcycle Endorsement on your driver license because your motorized bicycle meets the definition listed in California Vehicle Code Section 406a which reads as follows:  California Vehicle Code Section 406.


(a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground. 


b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:


   (1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.


 (2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.


(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.


For more information, please visit


Q: I am currently living in Colorado and will be here until I complete a long term project.  In the meantime my driver license will be up for renewal in a couple of months.  Since I will be unable to renew it in person, can I just pay the renewal fee online and have the renewed license sent to my address in Canada?


A: A review of your driver record indicates that you must renew your driver license in person.  Since you are located out-of-state, you may request a one year extension of your driver license.  You must submit a letter stating the circumstances and requesting a one-year extension of your driver license to the following address:



M/S G204

P.O. Box 932345

Sacramento, CA  94232-3450

The extension can only be mailed to your out of state address.  For more information, please visit



The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit