Ask the DMV: Want to pass that driving test? Check out YouTube
Q: My son saw a series of videos at school that showed the most common reasons why people fail the drive test. She said the DMV produced them. Are they available online?
A: Yes — the DMV’s YouTube Channel features several video vignettes that not only show the top 10 reasons why students fail the drive test, but also several educational videos on all aspects of driving. To view the DMV YouTube Channel, go to youtube.com/user/californiadmv.
Q: My husband and I have started to take daily walks around our neighborhood for exercise. We live in an area with heavy traffic and want to know if there are any rules we should keep in mind as pedestrians. Do you have any advice?
A: Thank you for seeking out information about how to be a safe pedestrian. One out of every six traffic fatalities is a pedestrian, so it is important for you to be informed. The 2009 California Driver Handbook offers these tips to pedestrians:
• Never “jaywalk,” or cross a street between intersections. Always cross at a crosswalk.
• Do not suddenly leave a curb or other safe place and walk or run into the path of a vehicle close enough to be a danger to you.
• If there is no sidewalk, walk in the direction that faces the oncoming traffic.
• When a signal first changes to green or “WALK” for you, look left, right, and then left again and yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection before the signal changed.
• At night, make yourself more visible by wearing white clothing and retro-reflective materials or carrying a flashlight.
You can view the California Driver Handbook online at dmv.ca.gov. Under the Publications tab, click Driver Handbook.
George Valverde is the director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration or insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California DMV has answers at www.dmv.ca.gov. And now, you can submit questions at email@example.com.